Founded in 1908 Settlement Music School, a non-profit organization, is one of the largest community schools of the arts in the United States serving children and adults of all ages at five branches in Pennsylvania located in South, West and Northeast Philadelphia, Germantown, Willow Grove, Pennsylvania, and its virtual branch, Settlement Music Online. Settlement provides over $2.6 million dollars each year in financial aid and scholarships to fully 60% of its students. Settlement’s reach is broad, and it continues the principles of its Founders, that there be no barriers to participating in music and arts education.
Settlement Music School is one of only 18 community school of the arts in the country that has national accreditation through ACCPAS – the Accrediting Commission of Community and Precollegiate Arts School.
Depending on candidate’s availability, teaching can range from a few hours a week to upwards of 30 hours a week. Teaching is scheduled primarily in the afternoon after school and into the evening, and on Saturdays. Settlement gives preference to candidates willing to work at multiple locations and/or multiple afternoons and evenings. Settlement manages for its faculty the following: registration, scheduling, awarding of financial aid, billing, student absences, performance opportunities, accompanists for student recitals, and more. There are multiple opportunities throughout the year for professional development. Apply to become a member of our committed, nationally recognized faculty!
Responsibilities, Qualifications, and Skills:
- Have 3+ years teaching experience with a focus on experience working with beginning and intermediate levels students.
- Foster a positive learning environment.
- Establish a good rapport with students and families, encouraging open discussion.
- Engagement in the overall work and mission of Settlement Music School.
- Belief in the importance of diversity, equity, and inclusion in music education.
- Bachelors degree in music performance or music education with a concentration in piano; Masters degree in music performance or music education with a concentration in piano, or equivalent experience preferred.
- Starting hourly rate is $34.45 per hour for individual instruction and $44.35 per hour for classes. Benefits include a 403b retirement contribution match.
COVID-19 and Workplace Policy:
As of September 21, 2021, Settlement Music School requires that all on-site employees show proof of COVID-19 vaccination. Medical and religious exemptions are reviewed on an individual basis.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume by email only to: Karin Orenstein, Dean, at Karin.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Settlement Music School is an Equal Opportunity Employer that encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.