This is the time of year that we register students for our summer session and for the 2020-2021 school year, and we would like to continue that timeline so that you can be certain to receive your preferred lesson day and time for both summer and fall.
Below are some important 2020-2021 registration dates to keep in mind:
- Week of May 18 – 30 Current students may register to retain individual lesson days, times, and teachers (prior to March 12 when we closed for in-person teaching), classes and ensembles. Open enrollment for Summer Session also begins. Students can register online via email, telephone and/or virtually. You should expect to receive a document from DocuSign that will take you through all of the typical forms that you complete every year. You will receive an email with DocuSign forms for each student in your household.
- June 1 – June 15 Current students, by appointment, may change individual lesson schedules (day, time, and lesson length).
- June 16 By appointment, new student (including additional household members) registration begins.
Summer Session 2020 (June 22 – August 20)
We are currently prepared to begin our summer session via our distance learning platforms. It is a flexible nine-week session with a minimum commitment of four weeks to enroll. Scheduling is determined by the availability of both the student and the teacher. We will offer both synchronous and asynchronous options of instruction:
- Synchronous teaching: This is done through “live” lessons and classes — Skype for Business/Settlement approved platform.
- Asynchronous teaching: This may include students sending videos of their playing to their teachers and the teachers sending back comments either through email or telephone, and teachers can also send back teaching videos specifically designed for their students. Teachers work with families to determine the best method, and this weekly communication is considered a lesson.
Once we are able to re-open our buildings, students will be able to transition to in-person instruction if preferred.
Settlement will not be raising tuition for the 2020 summer session and for the 2020-2021 school year.
We are proud to provide over $2.6 million each year in financial aid. We encourage all school age students with need to apply for financial assistance. All returning students who received financial assistance during the 2019 – 2020 season will be able to register with their same lesson cost assuming the lesson length is the same. Returning students do not need to provide a copy of their family’s 2019 income tax statement (Form 1040). Students who are in need of additional aid should contact their Branch Coordinator and will be able to apply for additional financial aid.
Please note that discounted tuition is available for students who pay semi-annually or annually. To maintain the discounted rate throughout the year, payments must be received when due.
In addition, Musicianship and Children’s Music Workshop are offered at a reduced fee to students through the completion of high school and vocal students through age 23 who are enrolled in individual instruction or classes at Settlement.
Distance Learning Platforms
If you have been joining us on our distance learning platforms, we hope that you have had a very positive experience. If you have not joined us yet, please know that we are here to be of assistance and help you in any way we can.
We are currently planning for all scenarios for re-opening with the date still to be determined, and in the meantime, we are committed to our distance learning platforms to continue serving our students. Please know that we have multiple ways of engaging with our students, and we want to make sure that you find the one that is the best for your family. Please contact us to discuss. If at any point, we need to continue/move to distance learning platforms we would like to share the following:
If Settlement Music School closes for in-person teaching or we alter building schedules due to recommendations made by the CDC, State of Pennsylvania and/or the City of Philadelphia, we will move all of our programs to our distance learning platforms. Settlement always provides the highest quality creative arts education for all, whether in person or through distance learning, and recognizes the importance of providing a consistent, sequential education for our students.
Contact your branch today to learn more!