Founded in 1908 Settlement Music School, a non-profit organization, is one of the largest community schools of the arts in the United States serving children and adults of all ages at five branches in Pennsylvania located in South, West and Northeast Philadelphia, Germantown, Willow Grove, Pennsylvania, and its virtual branch, Settlement Music Online. Settlement provides over $2.6 million dollars each year in financial aid and scholarships to fully 60% of its students. Settlement’s reach is broad, and it continues the principles of its Founders, that there be no barriers to participating in music and arts education.
Settlement Music School is one of only 18 community schools of the arts in the country that has national accreditation through ACCPAS – the Accrediting Commission of Community and Precollegiate Arts School. Kaleidoscope – the national award-winning arts-integrated Head Start Pre-School program – has NAEYC accreditation and 4 Keystone Stars.
Position: Kaleidoscope Plus After School Assistant Teacher/School Escort
Reports to: Kaleidoscope Administration
Location: 416 Queen St. Philadelphia, PA 19147
Kaleidoscope Plus (KAL Plus) is an after-school program from 3 p.m. – 6 p.m. Monday through Friday for pre-school through 3rd grade. All KAL Plus students receive homework support and a snack, in addition to the daily arts programming. Our dynamic arts-based curriculum strengthens students’ reading, language, arts, math, and logical thinking skills, while advancing their social skills through interactive arts-based curriculum.
- Provide documentation necessary for program licensing under PA Department of Public Welfare and PA. Department of Education regulations. Knowledge of and compliance with all Settlement Music School Code of Personnel Practices, including safety and emergency procedures.
- Works cooperatively with elementary schools and staff served by Kaleidoscope Plus.
- Communicates all information on children’s health, welfare, education, and family issues to administration. Assists with orientation of new staff and substitute teachers.
- Participates in all phases of curriculum planning. With Lead Teachers, maintains and sets up classroom, prepares and conducts small group activities, supervises homework and recreation. Participates with children and assists Artist Teachers during all arts instruction periods and during set-up and clean up.
- Fully participates in staff meetings and committee assignments.
- Daily pick-up and walking escort for KAL Plus children at one or more elementary schools.
- Encourages and facilitates children’s participation in all program preparation and clean up.
- With Lead Teacher assists in daily, weekly, and monthly record-keeping.
- Encourages parent participation in the program.
- Performs any other duties assigned by the Program Director necessary to sustain the growth and improvement of all programs.
- One year of experience working in the classroom of an early childhood program, elementary school, or equivalent experience.
- Able to create a joyful environment when working with children.
- Embody the School’s values and support Settlement’s mission.
- Belief in the importance of diversity, equity, and inclusion in arts education and after-school care.
Compensation is $18 per hour.
To Apply: Please submit your cover letter and resume by email only to; Tarrell Davis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Settlement Music School is an Equal Opportunity Employer that encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.