Founded in 1908 Settlement Music School, a non-profit organization, is one of the largest community schools of the arts in the United States serving children and adults of all ages at five branches in Pennsylvania located in South, West and Northeast Philadelphia, Germantown, Willow Grove, Pennsylvania, our partnership branch in Camden, New Jersey, and our newest virtual branch, Settlement Music Online. Settlement provides over $2.6 million dollars each year in financial aid and scholarships to 60% of its students. Settlement’s reach is broad, and it continues the principles of its Founders, that there be no barriers to participating in music and arts education.
Kaleidoscope Arts Enrichment Program, Assistant Teacher – Full time
Germantown Branch of Settlement Music School
6128 Germantown Avenue,
Philadelphia, PA 19144
Mary Louise Curtis Branch of Settlement Music School
416 Queen St.,
Philadelphia, PA 19147
The Kaleidoscope Arts Enrichment Assistant Teacher is responsible for supporting the Head Teacher with teaching and maintaining the health and safety of all preschool age children under their supervision. The Assistant Teacher will support the Head Teacher with the creation and implementation of well-rounded lesson plans for young children ages 3 to 5 that will enhance school readiness skills and are derived from the Early Learning Pennsylvania standards and Kaleidoscope Arts Enrichment school readiness concepts. Assistant Teachers will work closely and collaborate with the Head Teacher and Artist Teachers to ensure and maintain a positive environment and community for the children that are served.
Assistant Teacher specific responsibilities:
- Provides all documentation necessary for program licensing under PA Department of Human Services and PA Department of Education regulations.
- Knowledge of and compliance with all Settlement Music School Code of Personnel Practices and Head Start Performance Standards, PA Early Learning Standards, and requirements including safety and emergency procedures.
- Works cooperatively with Settlement Music School staff, Early Childhood Program staff, Head Start and all other support service personnel. Communicate with Kaleidoscope Executive Director/Family Services Provider all information regarding children’s health and welfare.
- Takes the leadership position in the classroom in absence of Head Teacher.
- With Head Teacher shares in all phases of curriculum planning, and assessment using NAEYC Developmentally Appropriate Practice and the Kaleidoscope Preschool Arts Enrichment Program Curriculum, and PA Learning Standards. With assistance and supervision of the Head Teacher, prepares and conducts small group activities during homeroom time. Adheres to appropriate supervision policies. Communicates daily with artist teachers and fully participates as assistant to artist teachers. Assists Head Teacher with individual child assessment. Encourages parent participation in the Kaleidoscope program.
- Abides by all active supervision policies and procedures.
- Agree to complete 6-week teacher orientation online.
- With Head Teacher shares in all classroom preparation and maintenance responsibilities.
- With Head Teacher maintains daily, weekly, and monthly record-keeping.
- Supports orientation and training of all new staff, parents, volunteers, students.
- Supports special events, staff meetings, research projects, conference presentations or other assignments.
- Participates and contributes to program planning, evaluation, and professional development. Seeks ongoing professional development.
- Performs any other duties assigned by the Early Childhood Executive Director necessary to sustaining the growth and improvement of all programs included in the Settlement Music School Early Childhood Initiatives.
- Can provide state and federal clearances (Criminal, Child Abuse, FBI), as well as 6-hour state Health and Safety training and child mandated reporter training that can be found on betterkidcare.com.
- CDA, AA preferred in Early Childhood.
- 2 years’ experience working in the classroom of an early childhood program.
- Ability to establish strong working relationships with individuals inside and outside the institution and be an outstanding advocate of Settlement’s mission
- Joyful person who has a special affinity for working with young children
- Assistant teachers work under the direct supervision of the Early Childhood Director.
Send cover letter and resume by email only to: Tarrell Davis, Executive Director firstname.lastname@example.org
Compensation includes a salary range of $30,000 – $32,000 and comprehensive benefits.
Settlement Music School is an Equal Opportunity Employer that encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.