Founded in 1908 Settlement Music School, a non-profit organization, is one of the largest community schools of the arts in the United States serving children and adults of all ages at five branches in Pennsylvania located in South, West and Northeast Philadelphia, Germantown, Willow Grove, Pennsylvania, and its virtual branch, Settlement Music Online. Settlement provides over $2.6 million dollars each year in financial aid and scholarships to fully 60% of its students. Settlement’s reach is broad, and it continues the principles of its Founders, that there be no barriers to participating in music and arts education.
Settlement Music School is one of only 18 community schools of the arts in the country that has national accreditation through ACCPAS – the Accrediting Commission of Community and Precollegiate Arts School.
Position: Manager, Mary Louise Curtis Branch
Reports to: Director, Mary Louise Curtis
Location: 416 Queen St. Philadelphia, PA 19147
The Branch Manager is a critical position within Settlement Music School. In partnership with the Branch staff, this position is responsible for achieving enrollment and revenue goals, managing efficient office functions, and ensuring a high level of customer service. The Branch Manager works closely with the faculty, staff, students, and their families on a daily basis. The successful candidate will help the School meet its mission of a creative arts education for all, welcoming and enrolling new and returning students to Settlement.
The Manager will model in all actions Settlement’s shared value of the importance of diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging in arts education. The Manager will be an attentive, empathetic member of our staff with enthusiasm for meeting and engaging with people. Listening closely to understand the needs or concerns and taking steps based on that input is a hallmark of a strong manager.
The Manager will actively seek out opportunities to be mentored and will take full advantage of the knowledge of the staff to create a supportive environment for teaching and learning.
- In coordination with the Branch Director, develop programming that is responsive to the needs of branch families and surrounding communities.
- Meet with prospective and returning families — provide guidance and recommendations on appropriate programming and placement with faculty.
- Manage registration process to ensure fast response time, detailed intake tracking, and consistent documentation.
- Process financial aid requests.
- Oversee all aspects of faculty payroll, student billing, cash reconciliation, and bank deposits.
- Work closely with Branch staff to build enrollment and programming.
- Effectively administer and communicate School policies.
- Assist in identifying community resources and partnerships for the School.
- Provide support at School events, meetings, and performances.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Branch Director.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred – arts-related field a plus.
- At least three years of experience in a professional office setting, preferably within an academic or arts organization.
- Embody the School’s values and support Settlement’s mission.
- Skilled at establishing and cultivating strong relationships with peers across different levels of the organization and externally.
- Ability to set objectives, develop plans, and achieve goals.
- Highly organized, attentive to detail, and goal
- Excellent writing and interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, including but not limited to Excel, Outlook and Word, plus the ability to learn new software programs.
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits
- Educational discounts for Settlement lessons and classes
- 403b retirement contribution
- Life insurance and long-term disability insurance
- Paid sick days
- Medical expense and dependent care reimbursement
- Professional development opportunities
*Eligibility for certain benefits is based on employee’s hours worked and/or length of employment.
The Branch Manager is an on-site position. Must be available to work evening hours and Saturdays. Summer hours do not include Saturdays.
To Apply: Please submit your cover letter and resume by email only to: Jessica McGrath at firstname.lastname@example.org
Compensation includes a salary range of $43,000 – 45,000
Settlement Music School is an Equal Opportunity Employer that encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.