Founded in 1908, Settlement Music School, a non-profit organization, is one of the largest community schools of the arts in the United States serving children and adults of all ages at five branches in Pennsylvania located in South, West and Northeast Philadelphia, Germantown, Willow Grove, Pennsylvania, and its virtual branch, Settlement Music Online. Settlement provides over $2.6 million dollars each year in financial aid and scholarships to 60% of its students. Settlement’s reach is broad, and it continues the principles of its Founders, that there be no barriers to participating in music and arts education. Settlement Music School is one of only 18 community schools of the arts in the country that has national accreditation through ACCPAS – the Accrediting Commission of Community and Precollegiate Arts School.
Cello Faculty — Openings at all branches of Settlement Music School
Settlement Music School is seeking a dedicated and motivated cellist to join our outstanding faculty of 180 professionals. Depending on the candidate’s availability, teaching can range from a few hours a week to upwards of 10 hours a week. Teaching is scheduled primarily in the afternoon after school, in the evening, and on Saturdays. Settlement gives preference to candidates willing to work at multiple locations and/or multiple afternoons and evenings. Settlement manages for its faculty the following: registration, scheduling, awarding of financial aid, billing, student absences, performance opportunities, accompanists for student recitals, and more. There are multiple opportunities throughout the year for professional development. Apply to become a member of our committed, nationally recognized faculty!
Responsibilities, Qualifications, and Skills
- Have 3+ years teaching experience with a focus on experience working with beginning and intermediate level students.
- Foster a positive learning environment. Establish a good rapport with students and families, encouraging open discussion.
- Attendance at Annual Faculty Meeting in September (paid)
- Engagement in the overall work and mission of Settlement Music School.
- Belief in the importance of diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging in music education.
- Bachelor’s degree in music performance or music education with a concentration in cello; Master’s degree in music performance or music education with a concentration in cello, or equivalent experience preferred.
Starting hourly rate is $35.85 per hour for individual instruction and $46.10 per hour for classes
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits
- Educational discounts for Settlement lessons and classes
- 403b retirement contribution
- Life insurance and long-term disability insurance
- Paid sick days
- Medical expense and dependent care reimbursement
- Professional development funds
*Eligibility for certain benefits is based on employee’s hours worked and/or length of employment.
Applicants for this position should submit a cover letter and resume to Karin Orenstein, Dean, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Settlement Music School is an Equal Opportunity Employer that encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.