Founded in 1908, Settlement Music School, a non-profit organization, is one of the largest community schools of the arts in the United States serving children and adults of all ages at five branches in Pennsylvania located in South, West and Northeast Philadelphia, Germantown, Willow Grove, Pennsylvania, and its virtual branch, Settlement Music Online. Settlement provides over $2.6 million dollars each year in financial aid and scholarships to fully 60% of its students. Settlement’s reach is broad, and it continues the principles of its Founders, that there be no barriers to participating in music and arts education.
Settlement Music School is one of only 18 community school of the arts in the country that has national accreditation through ACCPAS – the Accrediting Commission of Community and Precollegiate Arts School.
Early Childhood Music Faculty — Openings at Mary Louise Curtis (416 Queen St, Philadelphia) and Wynnefield (4910 Wynnefield Ave., Philadelphia) Branches
Depending on candidate’s availability, teaching can range from two class hours a week to five class hours a week. Teaching is scheduled primarily in the afternoon after school and into the evening, and on Saturdays. We currently have openings for Saturday morning to early afternoon teaching.
Settlement manages for its faculty the following: registration, scheduling, awarding of financial aid, billing, student absences, performance opportunities as requested by the teacher, and more. There are multiple opportunities throughout the year for professional development. Apply to become a member of our committed, nationally recognized faculty!
Responsibilities, Qualifications, and Skills
- Have 3+ years music teaching experience with a focus on working with young children; knowledge of Orff and Kodaly Methods a plus; ability to play the guitar or ukulele a plus.
- Foster a positive learning environment.
- Establish a good rapport with students and families, encouraging engagement in a classroom setting.
- Engagement in the overall work and mission of Settlement Music School.
- Belief in the importance of diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging in music education.
- Bachelors degree in music performance or music education.
Starting hourly rate is $46.10 per hour for classes.
- Medical, dental, and vison benefits
- Educational discounts for Settlement lessons and classes
- 403b retirement contribution
- Life insurance and long-term disability insurance
- Paid sick days
- Medical expense and dependent care reimbursement
- Professional development funds
*Eligibility for certain benefits is based on employee’s hours worked and/or length of employment.
Applicants for this position should submit a cover letter and resume to Karin Orenstein, Dean, at email@example.com.
Settlement Music School is an Equal Opportunity Employer that encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.