Founded in 1908 Settlement Music School, a non-profit organization, is one of the largest community schools of the arts in the United States serving children and adults of all ages at five branches in Pennsylvania located in South, West and Northeast Philadelphia, Germantown, Willow Grove, Pennsylvania, our partnership branch in Camden, New Jersey, and our newest virtual branch, Settlement Music Online. Settlement provides over $2.6 million dollars each year in financial aid and scholarships to 60% of its students. Settlement’s reach is broad, and it continues the principles of its Founders, that there be no barriers to participating in music and arts education.
Position: Kaleidoscope Arts Enrichment Program, Head Teacher – Full time
Mary Louis Curtis Branch of Settlement Music School
416 Queen Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147
The Kaleidoscope Arts Enrichment Head Teacher is responsible for teaching and maintaining the health and safety of all preschool age children under their supervision. The Head Teacher will be creative and capable of developing well-rounded lesson plans for young children ages 3 to 5 that will enhance school readiness skills and are derived from the Early Learning Pennsylvania standards and Kaleidoscope Arts Enrichment school readiness concepts. Head Teachers will work closely and collaborate with the Assistant Teacher and Artist Teachers to ensure and maintain a positive environment and community for the children that are served.
Head Teacher specific responsibilities:
- Provides any and all documentation necessary for program licensing under PA Department of Public Welfare and PA Department of Education regulations
- Knowledge of and compliance with all Settlement Music School Code of Personnel Practices, Head Start Performance Standards, CACFP, Keystone Stars, School District of Philadelphia and NAEYC Accreditation Criteria.
- Works cooperatively with all Settlement Music School staff, Early Childhood Program staff and all other support service providers. Communicate with Kaleidoscope Executive Director/Family Services Provider all information regarding children’s health and welfare.
- Supervises assistant teachers, parents, visitors and volunteers.
- Orientation and training for new staff, substitutes and student teachers.
- Curriculum planning and implementation consistent with NAEYC guidelines for Developmentally Appropriate Practice, PA Early Learning Standards, Keystone Stars criteria, Head Start Performance Standards and the Kaleidoscope Preschool Arts Enrichment Program Curriculum/Creative Curriculum. Providing and posting monthly lesson plans and reflections for school year. Daily communication and review of curriculum lesson plans with Kaleidoscope artist teachers. Full participation in arts classes and assistance for arts teaching. Adheres to appropriate supervision policies. Preparation and completion of all steps in individual child assessment process.
- Fully participates in special events, staff meetings, research projects, conference presentations or other assignments that are mandatory.
- Facilitates and encourages positive daily parent communication and involvement in the Kaleidoscope Program.
- Sets up and maintains classroom, orders supplies, and inventory. Ensuring all postings are clear and presentable and keeping classroom clean and tidy.
- Oversees and maintains daily, weekly, and monthly record-keeping.
- Participation and contribution to program planning, evaluation, and professional development. Seeks ongoing personal professional development and supports professional development of co-workers.
- Performs any duties assigned by the Early Childhood Director necessary to sustaining the growth and improvement of all programs included in the Settlement Music School Early Childhood Initiatives.
- Maintains professional demeanor with co-workers, administration, children, and parents at all times.
- Can provide state and federal clearances (Criminal, Child Abuse, FBI), as well as 6-hour state Health and Safety training and child mandated reporter training that can be found on betterkidcare.com.
- BA. Early Childhood Education.
- 2 years teaching experience working as a teacher in a preschool program.
- Ability to collaborate, plan and execute performances
- Ability to establish strong working relationships with individuals inside and outside the institution and be an outstanding advocate of Settlement’s mission
- Joyful person who has a special affinity for working with young children
- Head Teachers work under the direct supervision of the Early Childhood Executive Director
Send cover letter and resume by email only to: Tarrell Davis, Executive Director firstname.lastname@example.org
Compensation includes a salary range of $40,000 – $42,000 and comprehensive benefits.
Settlement Music School is an Equal Opportunity Employer that encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.