Founded in 1908, Settlement Music School, a non-profit organization, is one of the largest community schools of the arts in the United States serving children and adults of all ages at five branches in Pennsylvania located in South, West and Northeast Philadelphia, Germantown, Willow Grove, Pennsylvania, and its virtual branch, Settlement Music Online. Settlement provides over $2.6 million dollars each year in financial aid and scholarships to fully 60% of its students. Settlement’s reach is broad, and it continues the principles of its Founders, that there be no barriers to participating in music and arts education.
Settlement Music School is one of only 18 community school of the arts in the country that has national accreditation through ACCPAS – the Accrediting Commission of Community and Precollegiate Arts School.
Position: Music Faculty
Settlement Music Online is seeking dedicated and motivated musicians to join our Community Partnerships Faculty. Our community partnership programs are built upon strong working relationships with the leadership and, when available, music staff onsite at our partner organizations. For these programs, we are seeking dynamic educators that are interested in going beyond Settlement’s doors to teach music to a variety of individuals and communities in the Philadelphia Area. We are seeking music educators that are deeply committed to the work of equitable access to arts programming, performance, and education.
Our community partnerships faculty goes into other communities and organizations—to do that, we require that all faculty have reliable transportation.
There are multiple opportunities throughout the year for professional development. Apply to become a member of our committed, nationally recognized faculty!
Responsibilities, Qualifications, and Skills
- Have 5+ years teaching experience with a focus on experience working with beginning and intermediate levels students.
- Have 3+ years of classroom or group teaching experience
- Foster a positive learning environment.
- Establish a good rapport with students and families, encouraging open discussion.
- Engagement in the overall work and mission of Settlement Music School.
- Belief in the importance of diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging in music education.
- Bachelor’s degree in music performance or music education.
- Master’s degree in music performance or music education, or equivalent experience preferred.
Starting hourly rate is $56.10 per hour for offsite classes.
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits
- Educational discounts for Settlement lessons and classes
- 403b retirement contribution
- Life insurance and long-term disability insurance
- Paid sick days
- Medical expense and dependent care reimbursement
- Professional development funds
*Eligibility for certain benefits is based on employee’s hours worked and/or length of employment.
Applicants for this position should submit a cover letter and resume to Karin Orenstein, Dean, at email@example.com.
Settlement Music School is an Equal Opportunity Employer that encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.