Founded in 1908 Settlement Music School, a non-profit organization, is one of the largest community schools of the arts in the United States serving children and adults of all ages at five branches in Pennsylvania located in South, West and Northeast Philadelphia, Germantown, Willow Grove, Pennsylvania, and its virtual branch, Settlement Music Online. Settlement provides over $2.6 million dollars each year in financial aid and scholarships to fully 60% of its students. Settlement’s reach is broad, and it continues the principles of its Founders, that there be no barriers to participating in music and arts education. Settlement Music School is one of only 18 community schools of the arts in the country that has national accreditation through ACCPAS – the Accrediting Commission of Community and Precollegiate Arts School.
Senior Accounting Manager
416 Queen St.
Philadelphia, PA 19147
The Senior Accounting Manager reports to the Chief Financial Officer/Chief Operating Officer
and supports with the overall financial management, strategic thinking, continuous
improvement, and effective leadership.
Responsibilities for this full-time position include:
- Manage all aspects of the general ledger system, including journal entry preparation, and account analysis and workpapers.
- Lead the month-end preparation of financial statements, including balance sheet and income statement in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Assist the CFO with financial packages for the Central Board and senior leadership team.
- Work with Branch Directors providing leadership and support while confirming processes and controls are both effective and efficient.
- Establish and enforce internal control procedures, accounting methods, policies, and procedures.
- Work with staff to ensure timely and accurate processing of payables, deposits, and billings.
- Assist the CFO with the annual budget process.
- Lead the annual audit, prepare schedules, and work papers, working closely with audit team and internal staff.
- Support the CFO with training, mentoring, and leading the Finance Team.
- Foster a success-oriented, accountable environment that produces accurate, timely and reliable financial information.
- Support the CFO’s relationship with the Central Board and Board Committees, and attend meetings as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting.
- Five years’ experience in non-profit accounting.
- Experience with general ledger software necessary.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Ability to think strategically and work collaboratively.
- Excellent written and communication skills.
- Embody the School’s values and support Settlement’s mission.
- Belief in the importance of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Salary range $85,000 – $90,000
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits.
- Educational discounts for Settlement lessons and classes.
- 403b retirement contributions.
- Life insurance and long-term disability insurance.
- Paid sick days.
- Medical expense and dependent care reimbursement.
- Professional development opportunities.
*Eligibility for certain benefits is based on employee’s hours worked and/or length of
Please send cover letter and resume by email only to: Helen Eaton, Chief Executive Officer at
Settlement Music School is an Equal Opportunity Employer that encourages candidates of all
backgrounds to apply for this position.