The Settlement Music School is seeking teaching artists in creative movement, music, and visual arts to collaboratively develop and teach an arts integrated curriculum model. Artists will travel to selected early childhood education programs in Philadelphia County to model the program and mentor classroom teachers. Candidates must be passionate about teaching children ages 3-5 and making a difference in their communities. Experience teaching young children, patience, adaptability, and creativity is essential.
These part-time, year-long contracts for the 22-23 school year will occur during school hours and include paid training for summer development workshops; time for planning, teaching, and mentorship; reimbursement for travel; and credit for the artist’s work in the published model.
- Enjoy teaching children ages 3-5 and committed to their social, emotional, cognitive, and artistic growth
- Develop thematic lessons that align with curriculum and accreditation standards
- Adapt the Settlement Music School’s Kaleidoscope approach to one’s teaching
- Collaborate in teams of artists, with Settlement staff, and with classroom teachers to refine lessons
- Submit written examples of lessons and activities for inclusion in the final curriculum model
- A professional disposition and the ability to communicate, be flexible, and supportive within diverse community settings
- Be receptive to providing and implementing feedback in a supportive and encouraging environment
- Travel to various early childhood programs in Philadelphia County to model the lessons
- Minimum two years teaching experience, preferably with children ages 3-5
- BA, BS or BFA in dance, music, or visuals arts. Education and MFA degrees preferred.
- Attendance in professional development training including the Settlement School Summer Institute
- Able to travel to different sites in Philadelphia County
- Willing to complete mandated clearance requirements
Interested candidates can learn more by attending one of the following information sessions. Artists can also apply directly by emailing a cover letter with three teaching references (including name, title, email, and phone) and resume to Erin Leigh at email@example.com. Additional materials, such as work samples, brief teaching videos, etc. are welcomed.
Hourly rate is $25-$50 per hour.
May 26, 12:00pm, https://us06web.zoom.us/j/81827513632?pwd=SW5ERnNTU1BSV01HS1NkZnFzZ0JVdz09
June 2, 4:00pm, https://us06web.zoom.us/j/83530952418?pwd=eUcrTHg3dEQ4azJjRktLREpIYnNNQT09
June 7, 7:00pm, https://us06web.zoom.us/j/84365779646?pwd=WUtHeDdHYmxXM2pkQ1ViNEVwU29SZz09
June 15, 10:00am, https://us06web.zoom.us/j/85716162691?pwd=NmJFclVJZVZOWnB4U09WdTZsd05wUT09
COVID-19 and Workplace Policy:
As of September 21, 2021, Settlement Music School requires that all on-site employees show proof of COVID-19 vaccination. Medical and religious exemptions are reviewed on an individual basis.
Settlement Music School is an Equal Opportunity Employer that encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.