Part of the Joseph and Marie Field Chamber Music Program, the Advanced Study Program is a special scholarship program for 13 – 18 year old students (or through completion of high school) who have an interest in pursuing pre-professional training.
The scholarships include:
- Participation in an Advanced Study Chamber Ensemble, at no fee.
- A scholarship for individual study with a senior member of the Settlement Music School faculty or with a recognized artist/teacher in the community.
- Participation in an advanced study section of Musicianship (music theory) at any branch of Settlement where it is offered, at no fee.
Advanced Study ensembles perform several times per year in concerts at Settlement and in the community. Occasionally, Advanced Study ensembles are engaged for outside performances through Settlement’s Concert Division and performers may be offered modest honoraria.
It is expected that recipients of Advanced Study scholarships will make participation in the ensemble and in Settlement Music School concerts and events their first priority.
- Benjamin and Carol Auger Contemporary Ensemble, coached by Linda Reichert
- Gabriel Braverman String Quartet, coached by Sidney Curtiss
- Gray Charitable Trust Piano Trio, coached by Sandra Carlock
- Ann Newman String Quartet, coached by Sidney Curtiss
- Myer Schwartz Piano Trio, coached by Sandra Carlock
- Trowbridge String Quartet, coached by Thomas Kraines
- Edward L. and Gail W. Snitzer String Quartet, coached by Sidney Curtiss
- Rosalie Magen Weinstein and Matthew B. Weinstein Advanced Study Woodwind Quintet, coached by Rié Suzuki
- The Helen K. Schwartz Advanced Study Jazz Ensemble, coached by Tony Miceli
Auditions for the 2021-2022 school year will take place at via video submission. Details and instructions for submitting video auditions will be communicated with applicants once the application is received and approved. The video submission deadline is June 7, 2021.
Click here to complete the online application.
To apply for our Helen K. Schwartz Advanced Study or Wheeler Pre-Advanced Jazz Ensembles, please visit our Jazz page.
Audition Video Requirements:
Applicants should prepare two contrasting movements from one or more concertos or solo works. You will also be required to prepare and submit selected excerpts which you will have one week to prepare and submit. No accompanist is necessary.
Vacancies for 2021-2022:
- Violin: 2
- Viola: 2
- Cello: 2
- Piano: 1
- Flute: 1
- Clarinet: 1
Settlement Music School’s Gray Charitable Trust Piano Trio, coached by Settlement piano and chamber music faculty member and Arthur Judson Distinguished Faculty Chair Sandra Carlock, performed at the 2016 Fischoff National Chamber Music Competition.
The Trio, comprised of violinist Brenden Zak (age 18), cellist Cindy Yeo (age 17), and pianist Kelly Zhang (age 18), has performed together as an ensemble since 2013. The ensemble’s selection reflected a tremendous amount of hard work and dedication over the past three years, with preparation for this competition having begun at the start of the 2015-16 season.
Numerous Settlement ensembles have been invited to take part in the Fischoff competition since its inception in 1973. Most recently, the Gail W. Snitzer String Quartet, coached by Sidney Curtiss, competed in 2014 and received an Honorable Mention.